Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It is spring, dang it!

In celebration that it really is spring, even though our weather here doesn't seem to think so, I am in the process of changing my page up a bit. So hang in there, I'll get it all pretty again :-)

Auction Update:
Liberty's auction was AWESOME! Since it was the first time I had gone to it I wasn't totally in the know on how things work... but I know for the future! The auctioneer went a little too slowly in my opinion but the night as a whole was a huge success. They raised over $60,000!

Rick bought a huge basket filled with everything we will need to make homemade ice cream. We thought it would make for a fun family night. I think we will try to make our first batch on Saturday. Kaitlyn was dying for a pink elegant baby piggy bank she saw. We had to pay almost twice its value but we got it for her (it went to a good cause was my reasoning!). I didn't get too carried away on the live auction, they had some great stuff though. They also did a "fund-a-need" and this years need is the updating of the entire school computer system and network. The first phase which is scheduled to go in right as school gets out will cost $15,000. Well they raised $17,000 on that alone! Just awesome. My parents are also the proud owner of an antique piano, mom already dug out all the old piano books and wants to put the kids in lessons.

Rick has started getting the house ready for a new coat of paint. We have never had to paint and we have been there almost 8 years. It still in great shape but we want to update the colors and with the addition, I'm not so into the 2-tone look. The weather has been... well to say it in as nice of terms as I can come up with, THE WEATHER SUCKS! It has been cold, rainy/snowy, windy. It is spring for goodness sake! But Rick was able to get out and get the house pressure washed. He has been working on sealing up the windows and the trim. I picked up primer today and I'll probably start to primer the trim (gotta cover up the old deep red) tonight while he continues caulking if it isn't raining. This is realistically be my last weekend off for the next several months so I want to be able to help out as much as I can.

Kaitlyn has her school testing this week. Thankfully she doesn't do the WASL her testing is called SAT testing. She has come home every day feeling pretty good about it. I'll be glad when she is back to her normal school day though. Today I went to chapel with her and the lesson was all about God's tools and how God has given each of us tools to prepare for such things as this test. I love that school!

So that's my week so far. Nothing exciting, just yucky weather. I am very much in need of some sunshine... so send some this way please :-)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like your family was a big part of making the auction a success.

Our kids are testing next month. I know nothing about the tests here though. I'll be going in for training so I can be a proctor.

I would love to bottle some sunshine and send it to you. It's been cloudy here, but still in the 70's. Today the clouds are gone and the temp is supposed to get close to 80!

The 4 Martells said...

Karen your new page looks great. Glad that spring/summer is almost here. Post some pictures of your house after you paint, I can't wait to see it.