Thursday, February 7, 2008

ORGaniZING....

Rick and I decided that since we have high hopes of moving within the next 6 months to a year we need to get the basement cleaned up and get some sense of organization down there. So 2 nights ago we started in on the family room down there. While I can not say I have the passion of organizing like this fellow BLOGGER or the ability to make everything look as organizationally fabulous as SHE does... I do have the motivation to do this right now and for me that is HUGE. And well I can't say that I will ever be here:

closet

a girl can dream though, right! I gotta have goals and so this is my inspiration and goal!
The basement has 2 bedrooms, a full bath, a family room, the laundry room and huge storage room. The people we bought our house from had it built in 1962. They were LDS and this storage room is unbelievable. It is huge with metal shelves from the floor to ceiling plus a wooden built in that goes under the stairs. Growing up I remember that many of my LDS friends had these storage areas; I believe they stored enough food for a year. Anyways, this fabulous storage room has become my catch all of crap. You can barely open the door any more in it. Much of what is in there can just be pitched at this point; clothes and stuff that hasn't been needed in the time it has been down there can just go away.

Rick decided to start in the family room so that we can move the contents of the 2 bedrooms into it while he guts and re-finishes both rooms. Over the last 2 nights he (I won't pretend to have truly helped in that area) filled 6 72quart clear storage bins with scrapbook stuff, pictures, misc. car collection stuff. I believe 6 big huge black garbage bags were also filled. He removed all his trophies (from his car racing) out of there and cleaned then and then put them on the under the stairs storage closet (separate from the huge storage room I was talking about before). From that storage he removed about 200 sq feet of cardboard and packing foam from computers, and other things we felt at the time of purchase were needed to be kept. How funny are we!

I started the hall closet which houses my "I hope to one day fit into this again" clothing and my purses.... and when I say purses I don't mean just a few bags. I have an addiction to buying handbags... a bad, bad, very bad addiction. So here hence the reason for this post. Any suggestions on how to store handbags? I am not opposed to putting them in flip bins also but I thought maybe someone out there might have some fabulous idea that I (being of NOT ORGANIZED MIND) have not thought of.

So shoot me some ideas... on my purse situation or just on organizing in general. I need all the help I can get :-)

5 comments:

Heather said...

http://forum.purseblog.com/

Check it out :)

Heather said...

Do you have hanging space? If so, what about one of those fabric hanging shelves? You could put at least a couple on each shelf. Hmmm, still thinking... like I needed another reason to surf the net today too :p

Heather said...

Oooooo, organize.com has some great ones. Look under closets then purse and handbag! Good stuff!

susie said...

I don't have any purse ideas...but my basement is in MAJOR need of dejunking/organization. So, thanks for the motivation!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Oh I would LOVE my closet to look like that! Maybe one day.
The easiest way to organize is to put things into clear Tupperware boxes. I usually label them so everyone knows where to find things and where to put them away. Putting things away in the right place is key!
As far as purses I would put them in Tupperware boxes and organize them by color. One box for black, one for red, etc. The plus side to the Tupperware is it keeps dust off of your purses.
Hope that helps!