Monday, October 20, 2008

A Life Remembered....

I had the honor of attending a memorial service on Saturday night for one very special lady. Connie, was married to Don who has been for years involved with car racing. I didn't know Connie well but from the very first time I met her I knew she was special. Every single time I ran into her or saw her at the races she was smiling. She always made it a point to say hello and ask how things were. There was nothing fake about her and it was obvious to everyone she had a heart of gold and love of life we can all be envious of.

Connie was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer and began the fight of her life. In May she received a stem cell transplant and had hoped it would be the beginning of her new life. Sadly, things did not work out that way. On October 7th, surrounded by her friends and family she very peacefully ended her time on earth.

I have had to go to many memorial services in my life and I think I can honestly say this was one of the saddest I have ever been to (and oh yea, I do BAWL at all of them). As I walked in, a good friend of Don and Connie's said to me, "this isn't a sad day, this is a good day." In my heart I knew and I know that. Connie suffered through so much pain these last few months. The sadness felt in that room was felt because 'we' lost a very kind soul. The sadness was for her family that loved her so dearly and had to say good-bye to a beautiful sister/wife/daughter/mother/grandmother before any were ready to do so. As I looked around the room and saw the hundreds of life's this woman had touched it really made me think.

Connie and her sister Mindy were the best of friends. As it became clear that Connie's fight was coming to an end she shared with Mindy that more than anything she wanted to see her get married. Mindy was planning on getting married next year but on Oct. 3rd (just 4 days before Connie passed) Mindy made Connie's dream come true (in just 24 hrs she planned and had her wedding!). While I know it was a dream come true for Mindy also (she was marrying the love of her life AND she was able to have her best friend be her Maid of Honor - Connie insisted on maid not matron because she wasn't old, lol) it was such a testament of the love the 2 had for eachother. Connie was so ill but the family shared that on that day she felt no pain. She told everyone that it was the happiest day of her life.

Becky and I were able to go out to dinner after the service. I think we both felt the same feelings and I was so glad to be able to talk to someone about it! Connie was the type of person that could touch a life without probably even realizing that she had done that. She showed many people how to just be a kind and genuine person, no ulterior motives, no hidden agenda...just good. She showed me that I need to better spend my time showing my appreciation to those people in my life that I love and care about so much and she showed me that kindness from the heart is a very special gift.

There is a woman that owns a winery in Prosser that also has an organization called MAKE THE DASH COUNT. The link is to her story. I absolutely love the message. We all strive to make our dash count, Connie certainly made hers!

So to Connie, thank you....thank you! Your kindness was so simple yet so impacting. You touched so many lifes and there are a lot of people that are blessed to have met you.

1 comment:

Becky ♥ said...

Great post! I agree with everything you said, she was a wonderful woman.