Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Weekend Roundup (last weekend, just a little behind)...

Geesh I'm behind. We had a great weekend, other than Trace was sick :-( Didn't slow us down too much though. Of course Friday night we had Kaitlyn's school friend birthday party. Worked out great leaving with very tired kids who were more than willing to jump right in bed when we got home.

Saturday morning I woke up at 5:30, showered and made my coffee. I woke up both kids, bundled them up and headed to the airport for the balloon launch. It was actually a beautiful morning. I can remember years when there was frost on the ground. It wasn't warm by any means, but it wasn't bitter cold either. We found Jeremy, Nicole and their kids and started walking around checking everything out. They were just unrolling the balloons so the kids thought that was so cool. Trace was completely filled with questions. We decided to start walking towards the gate so when they started going up we could get to the bridge to hopefully see some try to dip in the water. Well the 4 adults looked and saw the group of kids and we all started walking. We got 1 balloon down and realized we were missing Taylor. Jeremy told the kids to stay exactly where they were and he and Nicole started running back to where we had been. As soon as we turned around and looked we could see Taylor back there with a lady, bawling when she realized she was by herself. The other kids were so worried and so relieved (as were all the adults) when she was found, safe and sound. Funny how that ended up playing into our hands though, not one of them wondered more than 2 feet from us and we never had to remind them again to stay close.

We got to the bridge right as the first balloon to go up made it to the water. Unfortunately, he was the only balloon to hit the water on Sat. Looking at some other blogs I see lots made it on Sunday morning. The kids loved every minute of watching and I fully admit, so did I!!! We headed home so I could get ready for work and the kids could get ready to head to Kaitlyn's school for Applooza. When we got home a balloon had landed at the school. The kids ran out to watch them load up. Pretty exciting stuff!

Rick and kids headed to Liberty for another successful Applooza festival. Rick and Trace worked at the ball toss booth, which was Kaitlyn's class booth. Kaitlyn came home with hot pink and purple hair. I think everyone had a great time. Rick said Trace had been coughing all day. He called me to check on what he could give him for meds because I had given him some when he woke up and it hadn't really been working so well. Rick's sister Amee was in Yakima with Mitch who was racing his sprint car at the fair (he raced Friday night with Dave and Steve crewing for him and he flipped in the A main ~ pretty much destroyed the car). Rick said he would go up and help on Sat. so he dropped the kids off with Jeremy and Nicole until I finished work and headed up.

After I got off of work I ran home, grabbed the kids and headed to Yakima. Mitch had to run his back-up car but he did so good. They had so many cars wreck, and when when these cars wreck they WRECK. They don't just roll over they flip and flip and flip. Mitch was able to stay away from all the major wrecks and came home with a 3rd place finish. Scott Walker and Kevin went up to help crew too. I think they all got spoiled working on these compared to their big cars on race day. Not a lot of adjustments to make before the race... just lots of cleaning!


Trace was misrible the entire night. I shouldn't have even taken him up there but we had used watching Uncle Mitch race as incintive to be good all week so how do we not follow through... he was so glad to get in the car to head home, he tried to push Mitch's car in the trailer for about 15 minutes to speed up the process.

Sunday morning we were lazy. Kaitlyn didn't wake up until 9:30 and Trace slept til 11:30. He was feeling so much better after all that sleep. When he finally woke up we sent Kaitlyn down to Dave and Sue's so we could do her birthday surprise. Amee had called earlier in the week and asked Kaitlyn what she wanted. Kaitlyn told her she had a very simple list this year. She wanted an American Girl Doll ($100 plus), and Nintindo DS ($100 plus) and a new bed, a king size would be perfect (ummm, I don't even have a king size bed because they are what $1000 plus!). Well we had been thinking of getting rid of her bunk beds anyways so when I heard that I decided we would move the guest room bed (full size, sorry Kait) into her room and get her new bedding. As soon as she went out the door we flew into action and took down her old beat up bunk beds and move the full bed into her room. When she got home Trace told her she needed to pick up her toys and take them to her room. I was waiting in there and unfortunately didn't get a good pic of her reaction. She was so excited. I had found really cute Roxy bedding and she is all about Roxy right now.
A big hit... look at her fast asleep!

Since Monday nights are dance night we let Kaity pick her birthday dinner for Sunday night. She wanted steak and mac 'n' cheese... my kind of girl! Rick bbq'd steak and we enjoyed a nice down day.

Monday morning Kaitlyn woke up and opened her birthday gift from Grandpa Dave and Grandma Sue. They had oh so kindly picked up brownies for her to take for snack on Monday since I just sorta dropped the ball there. She was so excited to open her card and find out she had almost enough money for Nintindo DS. Monday night she found out she officially had enough thanks to Auntie LoLo and Michael and Becky. So I'm sure we will be hitting Target this weekend to pick one up. 2 items off her list, not a bad birthday I would say!

2 comments:

Becky ♥ said...

I love all the pics, especially the one of all the balloons, that is really neat! I've always loved hot air balloons but due to my fear of heights, I will probably never go up in one :) I also love Kaitlyn's new bedding. Looks and sounds like she had a great birthday :)

TuHandy said...

I also love the pictures of sprint car and Trace and the trophy. Whoever took those must have a great camera, very nice.